Discussion:
Wheel Chocks vs Dock Locks

I have had dock locks ( wheels also chocked ) save my bacon on a few occasions when the driver left his tandems forward.

While unloading a trailor I have had the trailor move ( the tandem slipped and the wheels stayed where they were ) The dock lock kept the trailor from moving far enough out to drop the leveler and I was able to get off the trailor without incident.

I would greatly prefer that the drivers make sure that their tandems are all the way back prior to dropping their trailor or backing up to my dock. ( the tandem cannot slip back if it is already all the way back ) Some companies require this but there seems to be no teeth in it.

just my.02
  • Posted 6 Dec 2005 05:13
  • Discussion started by Honden
  • Georgia, United States
Showing items 1 - 1 of 1 results.
Honden, your.02 is worth big bucks. We tell operators that the tandems must be all the way back and chocks must be on the rear-most wheels in order for chocks to work properly. We need the impact loading of the forklift truck entering the trailer to have as much downward vertical loading toward the chocks as possible rather than a forward directional loading which tends to push the chocks rather than seating the tire against them. Your point is excellent and this kind of detail cannot be found in many training programs.
  • Posted 27 Feb 2006 07:18
  • Reply by john_j
  • Ohio, United States
John J

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Everett, MA, United States A 38-year-old man has died while working on a forklift inside the Lineage Logistics storage facility in Everett. According to witnesses, a relatively new employee...
Brussels, Belgium The European Rental Association (ERA) has translated its ERA Equipment CO2 Calculator into Dutch, French, German, Italian and Spanish. With the translations, ERA wishes to...

In the Virtual Expo

Aisle Master-OP from Combilift
The Aisle Master-OP (AME-OP) - A stand-on electric truck combining the advantages of a VNA articulated forklift and order picker for ultimate versatility and productivity.

Latest Jobs

Pasadena, Texas, United States
Odessa, Texas, United States
Evansville, IN, United States

Movers & Shakers

managing director
Beumer, Germany
sales
Bristol Forklifts, United Kingdom
technical consultant
Ranger Lifting, Australia
Lifetime Achievement
Harting Technology Group, Germany

Latest Jobs

Pasadena, Texas, United States
Cincinnati, OH, United States
Everett, MA, United States A 38-year-old man has died while working on a forklift inside the Lineage Logistics storage facility in Everett. According to witnesses, a relatively new employee...
Summerville, SC, United States KION North America has launched a Quick Ship Program to ensure short lead times for its Linde Material Handling EPA-accredited Class IV and Class V...

In the Virtual Expo

Aisle Master-OP from Combilift
The Aisle Master-OP (AME-OP) - A stand-on electric truck combining the advantages of a VNA articulated forklift and order picker for ultimate versatility and productivity.

Movers & Shakers

managing director
Beumer, Germany
sales
technical consultant
Lifetime Achievement
Harting Technology Group, Germany
Shoreham, United Kingdom Safety company Pyroban has appointed a distributor for its parts in Europe to optimise the logistics process following Brexit. AI2C, based near Marseille in France...
Beckum, Germany Beumer Maschinenfabrik has appointed Jörn Fontius as managing director. He succeeds Norbert Stemich, who, after eight years in this position, is now...

In the Virtual Expo

Kalmar RT240 Reach Stacker
FOR SALE - Kalmar RT240, YEAR 2012, 24T Rough Terrain Reach Stacker. Forkliftcenter delivers, services & assists worldwide.

Latest Jobs

Cincinnati, OH, United States

Movers & Shakers

managing director
Beumer, Germany
sales
technical consultant