Discussion:
Seatbelts to isolate transmission rather than ignition

We have been looking to replace our forklift seatbelts with units that isolate ignition. These units do not allow the unit to be running unless the seatbelt is fastened. Problem is, all of our operations involve picking. We are afraid this change will result is a substantial increase in starter failures. Is a unit available that could isolate the transmission? We use four Catepillar forklifts; (GC25, T50D, GC25 & TGC25) as well as a newly acquired Clark GCX25E. One of these units already has a transmission interlock switch on the steering column that I assumed we could work with. Any thoughts?
  • Posted 23 Mar 2016 00:44
  • Discussion started by richard_o
  • Maryland, United States
Insanity: Doing the same thing, time and time again, and expecting different results.
Showing items 1 - 3 of 3 results.
I have seen the same problem, we used it to enlighten the customer about electric truck options.
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 01:42
  • Reply by BREWSKI
  • Nebraska, United States
I would think that changing the parameters for the engine/drive train of the lift truck in any way would be a HUGE liability issue. Maybe adding a separate horn assy which only activated when the unit was running w/the seatbelt not engaged might be an option.

As far as wearing out starters- you are spot on. I had a national account which was very safety conscience & they began a program which required the forklift to be turned off every time the operator left the seat. Needles to say that starters & ring gears became a majority of the repairs I did. Unfortunately, from a safety standpoint, the program didn't last a year.
  • Posted 23 Mar 2016 05:04
  • Modified 23 Mar 2016 05:09 by poster
  • Reply by bbforks
  • Pennsylvania, United States
bbforks (at) Hotmail (dot) com
Customers love technology- until they have to pay to fix it!
Richard,

I would check with you local OSHA official. The reason for this is most states, if not all, state that the operator must be in on the unit when it is running. A truck should never be left running when no one is in the operators compartment for safety reasons.
  • Posted 23 Mar 2016 02:52
  • Reply by Partsguy5
  • California, United States

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Europe's leading fork manufacturer Vetter is an innovative pacemaker in the field of integrating smart sensor technology in the forks of the AGV to make Logistics 4.0 even more efficient, safer and simpler.
The conference programme for AntwerpXL, the award-winning breakbulk, heavy-lift and project cargo event, has been unveiled.

Forklift Diaries

It’s personal: building connection and a positive safety culture at Koala Farms
Christine Stiles
With farming one of the most dangerous occupations in Australia, working as a QA and WHS manager at Koala Farms in Queensland is not without its challenges. According to Christine Stiles, getting to know people on a personal level is key.

Inside Forkliftaction

Just when you thought ICE had gone cold, German manufacturer Linde announces a new line of diesel- and LPG-powered forklifts designed for heavier loads.
Sure, there are many battery-powered machines that can cope with heavy loads, but Linde clearly recognises the trust that many owners still place in ICE.
At
...Continue Reading

Fact of the week

According to a 2014 news article in the UK's Independent, Monty Python's 1979 song 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' overtook Frank Sinatra's 'My Way' as the preferred choice of music played at funerals. Some people choose to make their final farewell an upbeat affair while traditional hymns, football anthems and classic pop songs continue to top the list of the “funeral music chart”.

Inside Forkliftaction

Just when you thought ICE had gone cold, German manufacturer Linde announces a new line of diesel- and LPG-powered forklifts designed for heavier loads.
Sure, there are many battery-powered machines that can cope with heavy loads, but Linde clearly recognises the trust that many owners still place in ICE.
At
...Continue Reading
Europe's leading fork manufacturer Vetter is an innovative pacemaker in the field of integrating smart sensor technology in the forks of the AGV to make Logistics 4.0 even more efficient, safer and simpler.
Now more than ever, warehouse space is at a premium and increased volume of stock and number of workers share the same space, leading to situations where machines and people come too close for comfort. Technology from Transmon Engineering can assist.

Forklift Diaries

Christine Stiles
With farming one of the most dangerous occupations in Australia, working as a QA and WHS manager at Koala Farms in Queensland is not without its challenges. According to Christine Stiles, getting to know people on a personal level is key.

Fact of the week

According to a 2014 news article in the UK's Independent, Monty Python's 1979 song 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' overtook Frank Sinatra's 'My Way' as the preferred choice of music played at funerals. Some people choose to make their final farewell an upbeat affair while traditional hymns, football anthems and classic pop songs continue to top the list of the “funeral music chart”.
-  Mobicon 2HL Mini-Straddle Carrier 2nd Generation -  Cascade AGV Attachment Solutions -  BSLBATT Lithium Forklift Batteries -  Transmon Engineering Adaptive Speed Control -  OneCharge Forklift Battery Selector Tool Check out the leading product...
For our latest audience statistics, advertising options, editorial calendar and an insight into our latest developments: Download your copy of the NEW Forkliftaction Media Kit here Build your brand...

Forklift Diaries

Christine Stiles

Inside Forkliftaction

At
...Continue Reading

Fact of the week