Hyster S50XL:
Forks only go down half way

Hi! I have a c187 s50xl - LPG - w/side shifter forks. The forks only go down half way. I replaced a leaky hose and filled up the reservoir. The forks will go up but still will not lower down passed half way. Any help is appreciated!
  • Posted 22 Mar 2016 10:01
  • Discussion started by Donnieforks
  • California, United States
Showing items 1 - 15 of 26 results.
Unless you are blocking and chaining the mast so it will not come down I would not work anywhere near the front of the forklift. There is no telling with the symptoms that you are describing when it will come down. As bbforks suggested I would call in a service company that knows what they are doing.
  • Posted 29 Mar 2016 22:05
  • Reply by Partsguy5
Hello again I spoke to someone that used to work on forklifts. He mentioned that there possibly is a manual release for the forks. He wasn't certain where it was on the lift but suggested I remove any front cover plate to inspect it. Do you know if there is such a device? Thank you
  • Posted 29 Mar 2016 13:15
  • Reply by Donnieforks
Thanks. Where it's parked, nothing can hurt if the forks lower. I want to sell it, ironically it got stuck the day I was to show it to someone. Figures right?
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 09:02
  • Modified 26 Mar 2016 09:07 by poster
  • Reply by Donnieforks
DON'T LOVE TAP ANYTHING! If whatever's sticking frees up, the upright 's gonna come down in a hurry. CALL A FORKLIFT COMPANY BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 08:57
  • Reply by bbforks
  • Pennsylvania, United States
bbforks (at) Hotmail (dot) com
Customers love technology- until they have to pay to fix it!
B b ,,was not refairing to u ,! P
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 08:56
  • Reply by DAMO
  • DUBLIN, Ireland
One nice thing is that since the carriages up all the way I have real good access to all the control linkage and valves. I did see some more evidence of leaking hoses but as you mentioned the hydraulic fluid capacity wouldn't affect the the forks going down. I'm going to take a rubber mallet and give some love taps on all the valves. Makes it hard to park with the forks 25 feet in the air
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 08:51
  • Reply by Donnieforks
Well DAMO- sorry it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing. Trying to diagnose a problem on- line & doing my best to cover all bases isn't the easiest thing to do. Why don't you add some input to the conversation rather than back seat drive.
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 08:34
  • Reply by bbforks
I think u need somebody who knows what there doing ,sounds like ur grasping at straws ,
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 08:23
  • Reply by DAMO
  • DUBLIN, Ireland
Well Don, I'm thinkin its time for a professional to come in & take a look. Don't start removing hydraulic lines with everything up in the air.
The valve in the line is the limit valve- designed to give the upright a " controlled " descent in case of a hydraulic line failure. I've never seen one have this symptom, but there's always a first.
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 08:20
  • Reply by bbforks
I think there is a lowering control valve between the valve and the cylinder. I don't know what it looks like, maybe next to the cylinder. Maybe something is wrong with that.
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 07:07
  • Reply by mrfixit
  • New York, United States
I removed the cover plate for a better view. Tilt valve bore goes up n down. So does the valve for hoist. Still nothing.
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 06:20
  • Reply by Donnieforks
Your control handles for the hydraulics are on your dash, correct? You should be able to see the linkage that connects the handles to the control valve. Using the tilt handle as a reference, push the tilt handle fully forward & backward & watch how the valve goes fully up & down and in it's bore in the control valve. Do the same with the hoist lever & see what the valve does in it's bore.
Do the above with the engine off & the front if the lift free af any obstacles as the forks may come down.
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 05:59
  • Reply by bbforks
Yes all 3 cyls are fully extended. Thanks so much for trying.
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 05:46
  • Reply by Donnieforks
Sounds very odd. An overfull reservoir wouldn't cause it not to lower. I think you might have to call someone in. The condition of sticking forks is a dangerous one. Especially because the reason is unknown. Are all 3 cylinder's fully extended or just the center one?
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 05:37
  • Reply by bbforks
OK.got a chance to try up and down. Went up all the way and now it's stuck all the way up. The dipstick is very hard to read, would an overfill cause it not to go down? I added fluid until the forks started to go up. Also there are 3 vertical cyls. 2 small dia ones on the sides, 1 lrg center
  • Posted 26 Mar 2016 04:57
  • Reply by Donnieforks

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Ancenis, France French equipment maker Manitou has recorded strong growth in the last quarter and for the last calendar year. “The group continues to accelerate its growth by closing the year...
Albion, MI, United States Caster Concepts has announced a 16,000 sqft. (1,500 sqm) USD2 million expansion at its headquarters in Central Michigan. The expansion will accommodate a larger engineering department, additional floor space...

Next Editorial Features

SMART ATTACHMENTS - Mar 2023
DRIVERLESS/AUTOMATED MATERIALS HANDLING - Apr 2023
Tailift has announced the release of their Z-Series lithium-battery electric forklifts! Built specifically to meet the needs of warehouses, distribution centers, and manufacturing facilities.
Rebo Systems has developed a unique in-house label printer that can effectively satisfy all your demands for signs and labels on your materials handling equipment.
Rebo Systems has developed a unique in-house label printer that can effectively satisfy all your demands for signs and labels on your materials handling equipment.
“…I'm happy to report that we recently appointed an ideal candidate who found us via the Forkliftaction ad. This speaks volumes from my point of view.” - Hamish Clark, President...

Upcoming Events

March 20-23, 2023 - Chicago, United States
May 18-20, 2023 - Guangzhou, China
June 28-29, 2023 - Frankfurt am Main, Germany

Movers & Shakers

senior marketing manager
Tompkins Robotics, United States
chief digital officer
Wiferion, Germany
director of dealer development
Toyota Material Handling, United States
director of national accounts