Cat Lift Trucks (& Caterpillar) C6000:
Code 27

Hello folks
2005 CAT C-6000 with Nissan 2.5 on LPG (Ser.# AT83F00151):
Intermittantly sets code 27 (crank sensor) but sensor wave form seems ok (although voltage is higher than spec).
Another tech here says this happened before and a coil pak solved it...for a while.
Now it's back (miss and code 27).
Another coil pak (different cyl) and all seems ok again.......
Why would a bad coil/miss cause it to set code 27??

Thanks! -Jeff
  • Posted 18 Oct 2011 05:47
  • Discussion started by JeffreyJay
  • California, United States
Showing items 1 - 4 of 4 results.
Thanks, that is what I ended up doing to find the faulty coil as my ign. PU won't really get in there. The large gaps were on the (NGK)plugs coming out. Yeah, my parts dude tried to give me NDs or something...wrong overall length as well as protrousion.
NGKs installed with one coil as stated....unit is still working fine.

Thanks again all!
  • Posted 27 Oct 2011 03:43
  • Reply by JeffreyJay
There was a service bulletin from Nissan about that problem. That code is almost always caused by a misfire due to a bad coil. The procedure to test the coils is to start the engine and disconnect the coils one at a time until you find which coil the engine wont run on, and they will run on one cyl firing with a good coil and plug. I usually replace the bad coil and all the plugs. NO MATTER WHAT SMH OR ANYONE ELSE TELLS YOU, ONLY USE THE OEM NGK PLUGS! FYI most engines that use coil on plug ignition only work right with the OEM spark plugs.

Edit: I've never seen an oem NGK plug with a bad gap out of the box, but it never hurts to check
  • Posted 22 Oct 2011 09:28
  • Modified 22 Oct 2011 09:33 by poster
  • Reply by fixitandy
  • Pennsylvania, United States
This industry has a lot of ups and downs
Interesting thinking that this causes the crank pos code to set...it is an explanation.
I did replace the plugs and one coil pak and it has been fine. The plug gaps were huge as the electrodes were almost flush with the porcelains. 3k
Thanks!
  • Posted 22 Oct 2011 00:43
  • Reply by JeffreyJay
my personal wag has to do with stray spark plug voltage, and I think it is worth it to the customer to change all the coil packs and spark plugs and gap the plugs. how many hours on this thing?
  • Posted 18 Oct 2011 09:43
  • Reply by edward_t
  • South Carolina, United States
"it's not rocket surgery"

Post your Reply

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Upcoming industry events …
April 22-24, 2025 - São Paulo, Brazil
May 20-22, 2025 - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
July 22-24, 2025 - Melbourne, Australia
Latest job alerts …
Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
Ottawa, IL, United States
Columbus, Ohio, United States
Des Moines, IA, United States
Fact of the week
The longest interval between the birth of twins is 90 days, in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. The first twin, Molly, was born three months premature on New Year's Day, 1996. Doctors then stopped the mother’s contractions. The second twin, Benjamin, was born 30 March.
Global Industry News
edition #1202 - 24 October 2024
Technology has been changing the world of materials handling since humans started to trade and sell goods and, with technological advancements happening faster than most of us could hope to keep pace with, the industry will continue to evolve at an ever-increasing rate... Continue reading
Fact of the week
The longest interval between the birth of twins is 90 days, in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. The first twin, Molly, was born three months premature on New Year's Day, 1996. Doctors then stopped the mother’s contractions. The second twin, Benjamin, was born 30 March.
Upcoming industry events …
April 22-24, 2025 - São Paulo, Brazil
May 20-22, 2025 - Dubai, United Arab Emirates
July 22-24, 2025 - Melbourne, Australia
Movers & Shakers
Tomas Myntti Tomas Myntti
senior vice president, Industrial Service and Equipment, EMEA, Konecranes
director of sales, Baoli - EMEA
vice president of sales, Big Lift
executive president Latin America for the American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA), American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA)