Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Shopping for a new forklift
Hi all,

I am shopping for a new forklift - considering Doosan, Toyota, CAT, Mitsubishi, Crown, Yale, Clark... maybe a couple others, that's all I can remember.

Anyhow, rather than start a new post, I figured this has been asked before. Looking for advice, brand recommendations (found a post from 2010 that Clark is THE WAY to go)... etc.

I have two 5,000 pound machines in house right now, and they've been workhorses. One is an Allis Chalmers, the other is a Kalmar AC. Looking to (probably) replace the Kalmar AC.

So, if anyone can point me in the right direction (or maybe this WILL start the discussion of the top 3 forklifts in 2019)... that'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
  • Posted 10 Jan 2019 08:25 AM
Total replies: 5. Showing items 1 - 5 of 5 results.
Replies
Go with the closest dealer that is an authorized dealer for the brand you chose. After the warranty time frame, unless you have a full maint contract service charges and travel time billings will be a part of all billings. You also have a little more pull with a factory dealer than an independent. Yes phone calls and e-mails to the factory doo seem to work unless it is a Chinese made unit. Stay with the domestic brands or Japanese or Korean dealers. They will work with you.
  • Posted 10 Jan 2019 10:29 PM
And don't get so many quotes. It is a very competitive industry. If you stay with the the major brands you will get a decent and dependable forklift truck.
There is no need to do a lot of research. Pick a truck that you and your drivers like and buy it from someone you trust.

duodeluxe
  • Posted 10 Jan 2019 11:52 PM
It's more than the forklift, or the dealers location. It's all about the dealer. Purchase a main brand forklift that has the dealer support behind it. What is their satisfaction policy? What if the forklift has a failure not covered by warranty but is still relatively new? Is it too bad for you or will the dealer step up? A dealer that supports their customer first will only sell quality forklifts. We all get focused on price but there is much more to an investment of a forklift than just the price.
  • Posted 11 Jan 2019 03:26 AM
  • swoop223
  • North Carolina, United States
pick the brands you might want to use, ask for demo's so you can determine which one has the best features that you and your operators like best.
Then through word of mouth and some research find out what you can about the dealers service and parts. Most reputable dealers do have a rating and if you know anybody else that deals in management dealing with forklifts ask them how their servicing companies do.

Truck design and performance and dependability does play an important part in effective and efficient operation of your material handling but more importantly the quality of service you get from your representing dealership's service and parts dependability are a key factor on how that plays out as well.

You've been swooped!
swoop223@gmail.com
  • Posted 14 Jan 2019 12:52 AM
You seem to be a person that keeps your lift for a very long time. Allis-Chalmers Material Handling went out of business in 1986, the reemerged as ACMH for a few year and were bought out by Kalmar, Sweden and operated as Kalmar AC and Kalmar AC was around until about 1999/2000 when Komatsu bought them out. Komatsu provided trucks to to Kalmar AC with only a paint job & decal difference and were sold through a different dealer organization. The Kalmar AC dealer organization (or Tusk) no longer existed as of about 2005. All that means is that keeping eithre of these truck you have up adn running migth prove to be a challenge in the future. I suggest you strongly consider buying a the new truck from the dealer that you are currently using to keep your existing truck up & running. They know you and your equipment. Others may not be as resourceful.
Do all the things others have already suggested
But remember a few things 1.)Being big is not always mean better. I worked for two big dealers and their main focus was on large accounts vs the 1-2 truck users - main reason it easier to help pay the bigger fixed operating cost associated with being big. 2.) Being #1 in the business only means the next position one can move to is less than #1 - ask Sears Roebuck & Company, General Motors, etc. etc.
3.) Some dealers will represent more than one product line of the same type products - in a couple case two companies builds two brands at the same production facility with the only differences are paint, decals and marketing policies and very little technical differences, if any. I can think of two. When a dealer represent several brands of truck from different manufactures - do your best to find out what dealers resources are dedicate to the brand you are considering - by resources I mean service parts on the shelve and lead time if not (sometimes 90 days to get a part from overseas is not good) technically trained (certified)technicians on the product you are looking at, rental units available if a unique type truck etc.
  • Posted 14 Jan 2019 07:22 PM
Total replies: 5. Showing items 1 - 5 of 5 results.

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help!

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Ads

©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia
Contact Forkliftaction.com
About Forkliftaction
The Forkliftaction Team
Privacy Policy
Site Map
Help
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries
Blog articles
Our Bloggers

Industry Brands
Company Index
Regions & Countries
Machinery-onQ.com

Advertise on Forkliftaction
Editorial Features / Calendar
Featured Businesses
Past News Editions
Industry Associations
Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

x