Hyster H50XL:
Quit going forward

My lift was doing fine and now it won't move forward, it goes backwards like a champ though. Can the clutch packs be changed without pulling the transmission?
  • Posted 15 Mar 2016 10:45
  • Modified 15 Mar 2016 10:45 by poster
  • Discussion started by jon_h
  • Ga
Showing items 1 - 9 of 9 results.
I'll shoot some in the morning, thanks
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 11:35
  • Reply by jon_h
  • Ga
The XL hysters I've worked on have been electrically shifted through solenoids, not mechanical linkage. I guess I spoke too soon without a full model & serial number.

If you're certain that the f/r lever is mechanically connected to the valve body then I'm mistaken. :( Send some pics of the lift, valve body & exposed portion of the trans & I'll see what I can do
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 11:34
  • Modified 18 Mar 2016 11:35 by poster
  • Reply by bbforks
  • Pennsylvania, United States
bbforks (at) Hotmail (dot) com
Customers love technology- until they have to pay to fix it!
He took apart the valve body on top of the transmission and said things looked ok, not sure what he was looking at or for. There is a plunger in the front of the valve body that goes in and out mechanicly with the shifter lever by the wheel, the only electronic item I see on on the back of the valve body and has three wires to it
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 11:14
  • Reply by jon_h
  • Ga
Was the tech a vendor or an employee? Did he check the microswitches & solenoids before jumping into the trans? What was his reasoning on why the forward clutches were at fault?
Not sure truck is worth rebuilding the trans from a financial standpoint. If your lift is an XL model then it's from the '80s. Pretty old truck to spend a ton of time/money on
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 10:51
  • Reply by bbforks
The weird thing is that I was present when the tech took apart the control body on top of the transmission and the oil in that was clean as new fluid. Is that the same fluid the goes threw the transmission? I found a rebuilt trans on line for a crap load of money so I was thinking of trying to rebuild it myself. Any recommendations
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 10:37
  • Reply by jon_h
  • Ga
The trans fluid most likely was burnt then. Both the monotrol & lever style used microswitches & solenoids for directional control.
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 07:36
  • Reply by bbforks
It does rev up when it's in gear just as if it was in natural. A tech took apart the valve body and then told me the issue is the the forward clutch pack. Mine is the type with a forward and reverse lever and not in the pedal.
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 07:21
  • Reply by jon_h
  • Ga
Does the engine rev to max rpm as if in neutral (when in forward) or does it seem as if it's fighting the brakes? If it revs to governed rpm's then check your directional microswitches (either in the handle assy if there's a shift lever or in the gas pedal if monotrol) & check the directional solenoids on top of the trans.

If it doesn't rev to governed rpm's you may have broken return springs in the wheels. May have to pull the brake drums & have a look.
  • Posted 18 Mar 2016 00:49
  • Modified 18 Mar 2016 00:54 by poster
  • Reply by bbforks
Does this truck have electric solenoids for direction? If so, have you checked the forward solenoid?
  • Posted 15 Mar 2016 23:25
  • Reply by BREWSKI
  • Nebraska, United States

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

City of Industry, CA, United States Kalmar Ottawa has sold its 80,000th terminal tractor. The milestone terminal tractor was sold by Cal-Lift, a family-owned dealership established in 1964 that has represented the Ottawa brand across...
Singapore As Dematic celebrates reaching the milestone of 50 years of operations in Asia, there is a real optimism in the logistics automation and software company's Asia team about the...

In the Virtual Expo

Compuload CL-6000 from SWIA
The Compuload CL-6000 allows containers to be weighed efficiently during handling. Ideally suited for use with Front End Loaders, Skid Steers, Tele Handlers, Container Lifters and Forklifts.

Latest Jobs

Louisville, KY, United States
Odessa, Texas, United States
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Louisville, KY, United States

Fact of the week

The People's Choice Word of the Year 2022 as announced by Macquarie Dictionary was decided by Australia as "bachelor's handbag". The term refers to a takeaway roast chicken, often packaged in a small plastic bag with a handle which resembles a handbag. As it is prepared for immediate consumption, often favoured by a single person, it received this humorous colloquial name.
HC Forklift America Corporation (HCFA), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Hangcha Group, is excited to announce the XH Series High Voltage Lithium-ion Pneumatic Forklift with a 26,000-36,000lb load capacity.
How can you move a batch of palletised goods in half the time? It’s simple: carry the pallet loads two at a time. That’s the idea behind the new platform double pallet handler range from Cat® Lift Trucks.

Featured Business

EnerSys (World Headquarters)
Manufacturer of battery, charger and battery management solutions engineered to keep operations moving at peak performance.

Fact of the week

The People's Choice Word of the Year 2022 as announced by Macquarie Dictionary was decided by Australia as "bachelor's handbag". The term refers to a takeaway roast chicken, often packaged in a small plastic bag with a handle which resembles a handbag. As it is prepared for immediate consumption, often favoured by a single person, it received this humorous colloquial name.

FOR SALE ON MACHINERY-ONQ

Tusk 1800PD
United States Pennsylvania
Canada Ontario
Japan
Canada Ontario
Denmark

In the Virtual Expo

EIKTO Lithium Traction Battery
Our Lithium Traction Batteries are used for New Trucks and Lead-Acid Replacements. Lithium Cells are certified according to UL2580 standard. We are now looking for partners in North America!

Movers & Shakers

chief financial officer
Exotec, United Kingdom
vice president of operations
Flux Power, United States
president, North America
CNH Industrial, United Kingdom
Manager - Latin America
CHN Industrial, United Kingdom