Hyster S50:
binding sideshift hoses?

Good day!
I just last week purchased a 1970 Hyster S50C forklift, and was told it didn't have any issues besides needing an alternator. Big surprise, with a machine of that age, it has a few other problems too.
The first time I sent it up to max height (187", triple mast), it leaked like a sieve from the smallest piston (3 concentric pistons). Second time lifting it did not leak. Is this simply because the previous owner only ever lifted to about 10 feet, so the seal just needed to be reworked, or will I be seeing this every time I use the lift?

And the real issue, when I tried to lower the mast, the sideshift hoses seem to walk off the spring-loaded carriage and bind between the reel and the lift body. Is this a common thing? Do I just need to replace the hoses, or are they simply twisted? they're walking towards the mast (in)...

Thanks for any help!
-Jesse
  • Posted 20 Aug 2010 15:09
  • Discussion started by hikeit
  • Massachusetts, United States

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Global Industry News
edition #1184 - 20 June 2024
One of the biggest forklift manufacturers in the world, Crown Equipment Corporation, has been crippled by a malicious cyber attack... Continue reading
UN Forklift FD20-35FJM3
HANGZHOU, Zhejiang, China
New - Sale
Terberg RT282-4X4
Balling, Denmark
Used - Sale
Upcoming in the editorial calendar
DIGITISED STOCK CONTROL AND FORKLIFTS
May 2024
PRODUCTION OF MATERIALS HANDLING EQUIPMENT IN NORTH AMERICA
Aug 2024
Global Industry News
edition #1184 - 20 June 2024
One of the biggest forklift manufacturers in the world, Crown Equipment Corporation, has been crippled by a malicious cyber attack... Continue reading
Movers & Shakers
Juha Pankakoski Juha Pankakoski
Executive Vice President, Port Solutions, Konecranes
Chief Executive Officer, Business Unit Software, K├Ârber
Director of Academy, Lifting Equipment Engineers Association
Vice President of Manufacturing, Clark Material Handling