Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Clark CFY40B Are my brakes locked up?
  • ZipTow
  • New York, United States
My older Clark CFY40B has seems to be getting stuck around my yard more and more lately. I put chains [url removed] makes no difference. Sitting on the unit I notice the brake pedal is [url removed] compression feeling at all when applying them.

The lift won't roll in nuetral and feels like the brakes are dragging. Sitting in the [url removed] tire on the left turns and [url removed] tire on the right dosen't move.

Checked all (4) wheels, the steering rears obviously spin freely. The fronts however can't be turned at all by hand, they do move slightly (kind of a click right and left, but that's all).

Never worked on forklift brakes (all automotive)[url removed] when an automotive brake locks [url removed] is no movement at all because the pads secure the drum or rotor. I have never seen an auto's master cylinder lock in the compressed postion.

In this case it appears that the braking system is inside the axle? The transmission works [url removed] and all gears high/low.

I just have a feeling that the master cylinder ram piston is locked in a compressed [url removed] the compression rod travels about half way inside the cylinder [url removed] justs stops abruptly (and is very hard.. no further movement)

Just guessing my next step would be to remove the "out line" on the master [url removed] the brakes [url removed] cylinder??

Questions: Anyone run into this? Is there a parking brake or "line lock" on this Clark? I don't see [url removed] would think a parking brakes would be an OSHA requirement?

thanks

Ed
  • Posted 18 Apr 2008 11:53 AM
Total replies: 1. Showing items 1 - 1 of 1 results.
Replies
  • ZipTow
  • New York, United States
Update:

The problem is the master [url removed] swelled up. Cylinder looks [url removed] the brake fluid was contaminated.

Where can I locate a rebuild kit?
Wagner Lockheed # FD 6656 (1" bore)

Ed
[email address removed]
  • Posted 19 Apr 2008 04:49 AM
Total replies: 1. Showing items 1 - 1 of 1 results.

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help!

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Ads

©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia
Contact Forkliftaction.com
About Forkliftaction
The Forkliftaction Team
Privacy Policy
Site Map
Help
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries
Blog articles
Our Bloggers

Industry Brands
Company Index
Regions & Countries
Machinery-onQ.com

Advertise on Forkliftaction
Editorial Features / Calendar
Featured Businesses
Past News Editions
Industry Associations
Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

x