Manuel Leon of Century Yuasa spoke at the SCLAA conference at Matex last week.
Companies are updating their fleets to electric forklifts to take advantage of features such as their lower cost per hour use, zero gas emissions, quieter function and longer lifespan.
Century Yuasa, the only manufacturer of forklift batteries in Australia and New Zealand, believes batteries are the most important component of a company's electric materials handling fleet.
Speaking at the SCLAA conference at Matex '08 last week, technical manager Djen Kasherman explained how incorrect battery maintenance can spell disaster for productivity and the flow of goods through a warehouse.
Incorrect maintenance could include issues such as:
* Under-watering a battery, which will result in lack of capacity and ultimately damaged plates.
* Over-watering a battery, which will cause corrosion, reduced capacity and irreversible damage to trays, components and the floor.
* Incorrect charging practices, which will result in sulphated plates which may be irreversible.
* Broken vent caps, which can create damage to trays, earthing problems and over-discharging.
* Damage or cuts to cables and connectors, which can lead to short circuits and meltdown in extreme cases.
* Contamination of electrolyte, which will lead to irreversible plate damage.
"Using quality batteries and supporting them with the tools to ensure you maximise their lifespan can make a significant difference to the operations of your forklifts," he says.
The company has introduced PosiCharge Fast Charging technology into its mix of products which it claims will revolutionise materials handling for companies that currently rely on battery changing to keep their operations running.
According to general manager Manuel Leon, Fast Charging technology maximises run time, eliminates battery changing, reduces operating costs, creates a safer workplace, eliminates extra batteries, charges batteries in the vehicle and enhances productivity.
Using a universal charger that can charge any battery, regardless of make, model and size, PosiCharge safely delivers a fast, powerful charge during breaks and shift changes. This returns ample power to keep vehicles running through multiple shifts, without changing batteries.