Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
cat vs mitsubishi
HI
HOLA

I'm new in the business and i don´t understand the difference between lift truck cat and Mitsubishi, because they are the same model, they are fabricated in the same place (mcfa) but in different color and price.

Can anyone tell if is only the name???

Bye
  • Posted 25 Sep 2008 05:32 AM
Total replies: 36. Showing items 1 - 20 of 36 results.
Replies
hy,
i m new at mitsubishi , but here in europe, they came from the same factory (netherland), too. they are the same like FB, FG or FD, but the new series (N series), i not sure, never seen a new cat model.
  • Posted 25 Sep 2008 06:48 AM
  • AndyPandy
  • Staffordshire, WM, United Kingdom
In most cases it is just the paint colour and name. MCFA uses different warehousing equipment than MCFE. MCFE use Rocla and i think MCFA use Junghienrich.
  • Posted 27 Sep 2008 04:13 AM
the companies are in conjunction

I know for example all of the hydraulic components for Cat are handled by Mitsubishi in japan
  • Posted 27 Sep 2008 06:02 AM
  • edward_t
  • South Carolina, United States
as far as I know, there are more units in the Cat Lift Trucks line up than in the Mitsubishi forklift line, both Cat Lift Trucks and Mitsubishi Forklifts in the USA, are manufactured using the same design assembly and support team members.
Some of the current narrow aisle equipment of both brands are Jungheinrich design (walkie, walkie-rider, walkie stackers)
The tractor portion of the reach truck is either a Rocla design, or was inspired by Rocla, but I am pretty sure the mast is so much like a Lift-tec design that either lift tec makes it or their designers moved to work for MCFA and took their plans with them.
I am pretty sure that the newest (AC) controllers on the (36v) reach truck and stand-up counterbalanced end control were done by the same team that designed the controllers for the AC sit-down units.
I think there are differences in the standard warranty periods, as well.
  • Posted 27 Sep 2008 11:01 PM
  • • Modified 28 Sep 2008 12:47 AM by poster
thanks for the answers, if you must decide between cat lift truck and mitsubishi lift truck, the answer will be.....
  • Posted 28 Sep 2008 12:20 AM
  • edward_t
which sales person takes me out to lunch for Bar-B-Q. (I don't want humas in my salad, so don't take me to that place your wife's friend said was so nice...)
If we are talking about a brand new truck,,,really, it would greatly depend on the "aftersales" offerings of the dealer, if there was any, and what sort of relationship I had in the past with the dealer, rather than the paint color or cup holders and floor mats.
If they are the same dealer, then I would be considering the warranty and extended warranty costs and how hard the usage was and "upfront" cost of the unit. be sure to add in extras like lights (one dealer may order one brand always with lights and one brand always with out head lights) and operator training.
  • Posted 28 Sep 2008 12:46 AM
  • • Modified 28 Sep 2008 12:49 AM by poster
  • kevin_k
  • dumfriesshire, United Kingdom
alfredo there are other brands on the market. lighter shade of yellow than cat but i,m biased. lol.
  • Posted 28 Sep 2008 05:19 AM
Alfredo,
Edward T says it right the difference is in the dealerships that represent the product line. However, I am a bit partial to the Mitsubishi brand as I was one of the individuals who help start up the Mitsubishi representation into your country back in 1986 w/ a group of dealer that represented Allis Chalmers. In a few short years we took the population of Mitsubishi unit from 0 to over 2600 units by 1992 (the year MCFA started up). The products were of good quality , the dealers were of good quality. But time may have changed things. The trucks are the same but the dealer makes the difference. The dealers I worked with then had what I termed the "local doctor" philosophy (where you see the same doctor each time) when working with the customers to gain and retain their business vs. going to a large medical clinic when you may see different doctors at each visit and they have more overhead costs they may need to pass on to their patients.

Indeed I enjoyed each and every visit to your country. I recall I took our dealer group out to eat in downtown Monterey at a resteraunt equivalent to a 5 star in the US - 26 people in all. The bill I picked up was for over 6,000,000 pesos (the old peso) or about $625 US. And a dealer meeting we had a Vista Hermosa was also very enjoyable and different.

Just food for thought.

"Have An Exceptional Day!"
  • Posted 28 Sep 2008 07:35 PM
  • edward_t
johnr_j, I think you have best described what I perceived as the differences between the 2 brands dealers/sales philosophy, for a number of years, I wonder if we/I might get your -opinion- on the current efforts to separately distinguish the 2 brands.
I had worked for a little over 6 years for the Caterpillar dealer, and when I heard some folks I had great respect for, had started the local Mitsubishi Forklift dealership, I went to work for them, (started as a field tech) for one of the first Mitsubishi Forklift dealers I had ever heard of, (about 4 years before the Joint Venture). when the Joint venture was announced, I felt like Cat lift trucks had followed me.
  • Posted 28 Sep 2008 10:29 PM
  • • Modified 28 Sep 2008 10:38 PM by poster
Alfredo,

if you are buying new, I would see with the BBQ idea.

most of the aftermarket parts/prices are the same.
  • Posted 30 Sep 2008 05:07 AM
The Manufacturer and the Dealer are very important. However, you are the deciding factor.
Pick the right model for your application first. I have seen so many purchases made over good barbecue go bad. You can't use a straddle truck for dock work or a counterbalance truck for very narrow aisle.
Pick the best dealer in your area. I can tell you of horror stories of maintenance deals gone bad. I left the service industry when the management took away the service. Very few dealers are willing to take the loss of money necessary to get a maintenance contract. You will get what you pay for and what you don't expect from the dealer. Ronald Reagan said it best "Trust but verify."
Fast and cheap isn't always the best and keep a track on trends. If you keep getting billed for the same problems-well somebody isn't doing something right

Veni, vidi, vici.- Julius Ceasar
Value an honest mechanic, he earns his pay.
  • Posted 1 Dec 2008 07:07 AM
edward t,

Prior to the formation of MCFA in 1992 the Mitsubishi brand was marketed thru a company called MDI a Mitsubishi Corporation company (a trading company) and the bought ICE trucks from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (a engineering and production company) & NYK (a engineering & prduction company) for electric products. MDI grew the business by 6 times in the 8 years prior to the joint venture by selling high quality & relaible products and as an organization were very dealer friendly. We often heard that from them even wit hdealers that had a second primary brand. Sales/ marketing staff were made up of experienced people that worked at dealers, owned dealers, sold equipment for a living and knew dealers throughtout the US and Mexico. The MDI dealers respected this and supported them. MDI management set goals based on an annual business or marketing plan rather than on market share %. Of course, it was expected the dealers to make steady improvments in unit sales each year via retail sales, rental fleet & stock orders.

When MCFA was formed the philosphy was 2 brands and 2 channels was formed and the target competitors were 2 be Hyster & Toyota. One of the objectives of MHI was to increase sales volume in North , Cental and South America exponentially as the unit sales volume of the Cat market share was about 3 times that of the Mitsubishi brand. Cat also had 4 to 5 times or more the sales/marketing staff as the MDI group. Interesting enough the Mitsubishi brand at that time actually had greater unit sales in the heart of the line ICE cushion trucks than did the Cat brand. As I viewed it MCFA did try attack Hyster & Cat but it seemed that there was a lot of agressive sales approaches between the 2 brands as the lift trucks were the same other tahn paint , decals, some warranty differences and a little bit of product differentation.

As time went on many of Cat managment and policies were adopted and in 1996 the company was restructured to eliminate duplication of sales/marketing functions. Most of the positions were filled with Cat personnel.

Since that time a lot of things have changed, it seems that some of the significant Mitsubishi dealers have taken on another line and that some dealers now have both brands in the same dealership. I am not confident that this will result in a positive sales growth but I am not king. What I am saying is if dealer A sells 50 units for brand X per year and dealer B sells 150 units per year for brand Y and dealer B has the opportunity to obtain brand X the net sells may not be 200 per year. My rationale is that dealer B (like any dealer) has financial, credit limits to expand retail sales & rental fleets & stock levels. Consequently, the net sales will more than likely be a number less than 200. This is one reason why in the auto industry there are separate dealers ships for Ford & Mercury, except in small markets and why the Big 3 pressured their dealership to move any second competing line to another facility.

Remember a production company thrives on volume & profit for sure.

Don't know if this answers your question.
  • Posted 5 Dec 2008 12:14 AM
  • edward_t
Thank you very much, I think you answered a number of my questions very completely and well spoken.
  • Posted 5 Dec 2008 11:54 AM
No problem & thank you, for your compliment.

I have retired from the forklift business after 41 years - it was a good career & very interesting. Hope I made a mark - even a small one. Have seen & been thru a lot of slow downs like what we have now. I recall in 1973 when the ITA number were ~130,000 (all 5 classes) the best year every w/o any imports being counted then and lead times were 52 weeks on standard products. The next year it tanked to 36,000 - dealer stock & customer order cancellations, etc. I recall that during 1 month in that year the ITA went negative at Allis Chalmers we had a positive 12 units - a record for a one month market share.

In 1981/2 unemployment was ~10%. Yep I had an opportunity to get out of the **** cold Chicago area & I did after 4 months of searching.
We just need to reminderour selves that Hula Hoop sales were not forever either

With that in perspective - this slow down looks like a bump in the road right now. As I have coined, "PMA is better than PMS" or "each day it is always better to look for the sunshine rather than at you shoe shine."

FYI: PMS is not what you think.

What Mitsu dealer did you work for in NC - Dillon Supply?

• Posted 5 Dec 2008 11:56 PM
  • edward_t
I was not in the Carolinas at that time...
  • Posted 6 Dec 2008 09:22 AM
Last I heard while I was with an MCFA Dealer in NC until 2 years ago was a shift is occuring in the 2 brand 2 channel plan. It became 2b1c (2 brand 1 channel) which left a lot of dealers like us (mits only) gasping for air. The change was that Mits lost some larger models in both cushion and pneumatic tired units, lost a lot of options and was set up as the affordable, reliable unit. Mits also release new longer warranties etc on these units and Cat had the options and fluff (see GM and Cadillac for [url removed] wirked out really well didn't it?)
  • Posted 13 Dec 2008 07:32 AM
Last I heard while I was with an MCFA Dealer in NC until 2 years ago was a shift is occuring in the 2 brand 2 channel plan. It became 2b1c (2 brand 1 channel) which left a lot of dealers like us (mits only) gasping for air. The change was that Mits lost some larger models in both cushion and pneumatic tired units, lost a lot of options and was set up as the affordable, reliable unit. Mits also release new longer warranties etc on these units and Cat had the options and fluff (see GM and Cadillac for [url removed] wirked out really well didn't it?)
  • Posted 13 Dec 2008 07:33 AM
i have a order picker cat mdel nor30 and i have a code 80 the problem i have i dont no the calibration o the pod if u have any info that can help me am truly aprreciated thank for your time

angel
  • Posted 11 Apr 2009 03:58 PM
Alfredo

You are correct when it comes to the "hard iron". The difference you may see is in the dealer that supports the product with service, parts, rental, and other marketing programs.

MCFA is sort of like the Ford / Mercury automobiles - same company different brands and as you say different price. Or like Whirlpool, Kenmore, Maytag conventional washers and dryers - Whirlpool makes all 3 brands w/small differences between each.

I do know well that the Mitsubishi product was first introduced to the Mexican market in 1987. Market presence was "O" by 1992 annual sales had grown to over 20% of the market - large customers like Coke Cola were buying them then. Largely due to the dealers representing a quality product.

• Posted 12 Apr 2009 06:56 PM
  • lynn_w
  • Colorado, United States
johnr j - you seem to know mucho about this , so let me ask this , how long did NYK manufacture lifts , and what happend to them ? Did MCF incorporate them , did they design the electrics or are the just gone ?
  • Posted 18 Apr 2009 04:38 AM
Total replies: 36. Showing items 1 - 20 of 36 results.

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help!

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Ads

©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia
Contact Forkliftaction.com
About Forkliftaction
The Forkliftaction Team
Privacy Policy
Site Map
Help
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries
Blog articles
Our Bloggers

Industry Brands
Company Index
Regions & Countries
Machinery-onQ.com

Advertise on Forkliftaction
Editorial Features / Calendar
Featured Businesses
Past News Editions
Industry Associations
Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

x