Discussion:
Sales Rep making money

Want to get some opinions. Long time forklift rep here, making money and exceeding yearly goals. Our sales manager who is new to the industry asked me how I am doing what I do. I tell him my plan, what I do on a daily activity and he tells me everything I am doing is completely wrong. I have been at my company more than 12 years so I don't just have customers I have business partners. If you guys leave a company would you take or go after your previous customers? Want to keep things business ethical.
  • Posted 23 Sep 2016 07:28
  • Modified 24 Sep 2016 07:01 by poster
  • Discussion started by tyler_d
  • California, United States
Showing items 1 - 15 of 17 results.
Same. I have been in your shoes.
  • Posted 11 Jun 2020 01:34
  • Reply by Anthony_Renn
  • Connecticut, United States
Have seen crown and Raymond go after each others sales reps for years around here. Have seen companies "fire" one equipment dealer only to have that same dealer hire the salesman who took the account from them Only to end up with egg on their faces when they could not get the account back. Some customers just get fed up With a dealer who not only treats their sales / service force wrong but treat them the same way
  • Posted 20 Nov 2018 22:46
  • Reply by triumphrider
  • Texas, United States
tyler your relationship with your customers is between you and them, your company is just the middle man, you ask if you should try and carry your customers over to the new company you go to?
I would say yes, if your customers trust you and the company you're going to will support your new companies business methods and practices then why not.
I'm sure not all of them will flip over because some customers just rely on the brand more than the sales rep but if your any good and it sounds like you are i don't think you'll have that many that don't come with you ;o)

Then when your old company looses that client base they might rethink their new manager's tactics. What he did to you was just plain wrong and underhanded, i can guess where that missing $1200 went :o/
Good luck in your new quest for a new employer. If you have a good customer base i'm sure you won't have any problems getting hired :o)
  • Posted 12 Nov 2018 13:07
  • Modified 12 Nov 2018 13:08 by poster
  • Reply by swoop223
  • North Carolina, United States
You've been swooped!
swoop223@gmail.com
Who knows, times have changed in the world of finances. This site is right about it: https://checkgain.com/You shouldn't be afraid to take charge in banking matters, by the way.
  • Posted 12 Nov 2018 06:50
  • Reply by jeriko_k
  • Ukraine
I'm agree with you!
  • Posted 16 May 2017 18:11
  • Reply by Alant
Arminius thanks for the kind words. Just found out that my $4000 in commission for my new equipment sales the company wants $1200 of it back. When I asked them what grounds are they basing this one the sales manager said "well you did not notice it last month when I with held the money". A comment like that does not build confidence with the sales team and after doing some research they did with hold the $1200 from the previous month. We have to fight for every dollar even thou it is our to get paid. Glad I am leaving and I think other will also.
  • Posted 15 Oct 2016 03:23
  • Reply by tyler_d
Tyler Good luck with the new opportunity. It sounds like you are a professional and wherever you ended up, both Raymond organizations in California are exceptional places to work with top-notch people.

Sorry your current company couldn't retain you. What a shame after all those years with them.
  • Posted 13 Oct 2016 08:17
  • Modified 13 Oct 2016 08:22 by poster
  • Reply by arminius
Tampa2 we get 2% of what our area does in monthly sales. Say our area does $100,000 in a month we only get $2000 commission and that's before taxes. Base salary in California is hard to say depends on the company. My base salary is $30k where I am at now but with the old commission structure I was making well over $100k a year with all the different way to make money. Raymond forklift where I will be starting November 1st my base salary will be $52k a year with a very nice commission structure that's constructive to make money.
  • Posted 7 Oct 2016 01:54
  • Reply by tyler_d
2% of what? Total sale price? Certainly not of gross profit, correct?

Just out of curiosity, what is "standard" (or somewhat standard) base salary in CA?
  • Posted 6 Oct 2016 23:50
  • Reply by Tampa2
  • Florida, United States
johnny V- great advise will take it.

Well guys the straw that was holding the sales team together has broke. Our commission are laid out in black and white are very straight forward on what we get paid out and yet our wonderful sales manager still fights us for our money. If my commission are X amount I expect to be paid X amount and not "what you feel" we should get paid. Our manager is not from the industry and has no concept of what a sales rep makes yearly. I have accepted a job offer with Raymond and the base salary alone is double of the base salary where I am at. Raymond in my area is growing at an exponential so I think it will be good and the opportunity is there. The company I work for now looses customers as quickly as the sales rep bring them in so the growth is not there. Don't want to change companies especially before the holidays but when your boss "feels" a sales rep should only make $50k to $55k a year I just laughed at him. Not polite I know but could not help it. Off to new adventures in a few weeks after the back ground is completed.

Thanks everyone for your input, I feel I am making a good change.
  • Posted 4 Oct 2016 04:55
  • Modified 4 Oct 2016 04:57 by poster
  • Reply by tyler_d
When I leave my company for whatever reasons, I just inform my customers about it and tell the that wherever I may be, I will help them with any issues about their units. Then, I introduce whatever brand I am currently promoting and whether they are sold to the brand or not, I always respect their decision but always emphasize the difference of buying from me. I am more than 20 years in this industry.
  • Posted 3 Oct 2016 23:04
  • Reply by johnny_v
  • Metro Manila, Philippines
Wow!! That's a major restructure of the pay scale. I don't blame you for wanting out. It would appear to me that your new manager knows nothing of the lift business.
  • Posted 30 Sep 2016 05:01
  • Reply by Redbaron91
  • Maryland, United States
Redbaron you are so correct about getting it done. Now they changed the commission structure to a 2% but that's it. Before there was a lot of other ways to make money and get paid and I did. My checks have been over $12k a month before taxes for years and now I am down to only about $4500 before taxes. I have already had two interviews and both are looking way more positive then where I am at. Hate to give up my 6 weeks of vacation time but money to put food on the table and provide for the family is more important.
  • Posted 30 Sep 2016 03:35
  • Reply by tyler_d
I work for a large dealer on the east coast and I can say that there is nothing we enjoy more than writing big checks to our reps and salespeople. If we write you a big check that means your getting it done! As far as ethics if you were to leave, its game on! May the best man win. That's why its called a free market.
  • Posted 29 Sep 2016 21:25
  • Reply by Redbaron91
  • Maryland, United States
STAM- I don't normally try to take customer with me when I leave a company but this time is different. Its only different because of the way the company is going about it. I will let my customers know I am leaving and where I am going. If they choose to follow they will, and if they don't I understand. I also heard another local forklift companies are doing the same thing. Trying to phase out the high paid sales reps to bring in a trainee to do the same job for less pay. I honestly think the company is not even focus on customer retention.

BREWSKI- No none of the sales staff have sign a non-compete agreement. Had lunch today with the other sales reps and everyone is looking elsewhere. Not that we don't enjoy the company or the people we work with but its all about money. We need to pay our bills and put food on the table.
  • Posted 24 Sep 2016 07:00
  • Modified 24 Sep 2016 07:03 by poster
  • Reply by tyler_d

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Machinery-onQ Listings
Toyota 7FGU25
  • Toyota7FGU25
  • 2007 | Used - Sale
  • United States
  • USD 8,500
Nissan G1N1L18Q
  • NissanG1N1L18Q
  • 2012 | Used - Sale
  • Netherlands
  • EUR 5,250
SMV (Konecranes) 4535TB5