Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

x
Marketplace NEW! Business Directory Discussion Forums Industry News Events Calendar Jobs & Resumes Photo Galleries
Marketplace
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Home
My profile
Search
Spec-Checker
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries

Ads

Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Forum: Business management
Discussion:  Computer Operating Systems for Forklift Dealers
Number of messages: 7

START MESSAGE:
JrWarden
Ohio, United States

I am searching for a new operating system for my forklift dealership. Has anyone recently switched to an ERP that has been particularly successful? I need something that is both easy to use, and works with our OEM. In addition we need something flexible, scaleable, and robust. Your feedback would be very helpful!

Posted 27 Mar 2011 11:28 AM Reply  Report this message
REPLIES: Sort replies by
edward_t
South Carolina, United States

we might have a differing of definitions here, Jr. the "computer operating system" is the software that runs the computer, [linux, Microsoft WIndows (7, vista XP being recent versions),or Unix], "ERP" software is "Enterprise Reporting and Planning" and "CRM" is "Customer Relationship Management".
While I generally point to security issues as to why NOT to use MS Windows, and familiarity and easy interaction with Digital Rights Management software [DRM] as reason TO use MS Products, I doubt from your question that you actually want advise to the OS, especially since all the computers most likely already came with some version of MS Windows installed.
All that said (and I would of course, as my personal opinion, recommend getting rid of MS Windows or at least dual booting into a Linux distribution), I think if one of the important criteria is "works with our OEM" then knowing what your OEM requires would be the very first thing we need to identify to make any sort of suggestions.

-------------------------
"it's not rocket surgery"

Modified 20 Apr 2011 07:52 PM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message
JrWarden
Ohio, United States

ok, I am in management and have taken MIS courses as part of my MBA course work, however I admittedly am NOT as familiar with all the vocabulary necessary to communicate my need clearly, and for that I take full responsibility. Now...confessions aside, our issue is one of a transactional software system that allows our company to "operate as a business" not the 'operation of our actual computers'...So we are seeking a solution that will allow us to account for all our transactions, contracts, inventory, and alike...NOT the 'MS Windows'/OS, or the like. My apologies for a any lack of clarity on my part. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Posted 28 Mar 2011 02:37 AM Reply  Report this message
edward_t
South Carolina, United States

there are a number that are targeted to forklift dealerships, and also a number targeted to rental companies.
I am a "roll your own" kinda guy, so I have a tendency to think this is the kind of thing each company is going to want to be able to make fit to their own specs, yet it seems to me that most management types want to just be able to purchase something and not have any learning curve.  
what have you already looked into? NDS? Minitrac? Winsoft? how many employees? what do you see as your company's main "core competencies"?
what is the budget? have you identified what the OEM's requirements are?

"it's not rocket surgery"

Modified 28 Mar 2011 03:45 AM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message
jd_n
Michigan, United States

Jr,
I've been in the forklift dealership business since around 1984. I was 1st introduced to "minitrac" back then and for several yrs it used dummy terminals. Very basic and easy to use. Since then I changed jobs now to a company that is always jumping onto the latest technology. So that was MTA and now SILK.

As Edward eluded to - it is going to depend on the size of your operation. What you want to get out of the system. Our company gets into running reports extensively. We can analyze just about anything you want - the problem is garbage in/ garbage out.  Techs write down wrong hr meter readings, customers are set up with their fleet model and s/n and if the service call is made with the caller not knowing what unit # - etc. the work order opens on the 1st best guess and sometimes doesn't get caught before invoicing and then the cost per hr reports are not accurate.

If it were myself and I was starting at ground level - I think I'd look to minitrac from my past experience. Technology is great in theory - but when you want to get a job done and you focus on the equipment. To me I'd want the least amount of effort in getting the job processed from start to finish.

If minitrac is too much - then there are smaller programs that are designed for small operations that will get the job done. But you may not have a PM module where you can set up contracts and cycle print work orders.

Hope that helps !

Get-R-Done !

Posted 15 Apr 2011 09:06 PM Reply  Report this message
DutchMan
California, United States

Have you ever heard of SoftBase? I used it for 5 yrs at my last company and it did EVERYTHING!

Posted 25 May 2011 07:08 AM Reply  Report this message
daniel_k
New York, United States
I recommend you read more about ERP and MIS

All about ERP and MIS https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/mis-vs-erp

Posted 6 May 2019 06:42 PM Reply  Report this message

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.
Ads
Stronger brands with Forkliftaction

GLOSSARY
Click for description.

FORUM
DISCUSSION
SIGNATURE

FORUMS
©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064