Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

Marketplace NEW! Business Directory Discussion Forums Industry News Events Calendar Jobs & Resumes Photo Galleries
Marketplace
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Home
My profile
Search
Spec-Checker
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries

Ads

Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
Search  
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Forum: Industry News & Whispers
Discussion:  Hyster fortis duramatch transmission
Number of messages: 28
Page: [1] 2
START MESSAGE:
hookup
California, United States
What is this new duramatch transmission?How does Hyster achieve the reduced break wear?

Posted 5 Jul 2005 03:37 AM Reply  Report this message
REPLIES: Sort replies by
gustaf
Indiana, United States
It is essentially a transmission clutchpack braking design.  Instead of the brakes doing the braking, a controller (brain) regulates pressure in the clutchpacks.  That is why they say they have heavy duty clutchpacks and a big cooling system.  All that extra clutchpack friction (heat) needs to be addressed somehow.  Interesting concept and interesting approach, but unproven in the field so far.  Wonder what the cost is to replace/repair a clutchpack or a radiator in this new model.  May offset the break wear cost?  I guess we'll all see soon enough.

Posted 8 Jul 2005 01:21 AM Reply  Report this message
harald_g
Hamburg, Germany
Has anyone driven this truck?
What about the first experiences?
From my understanding: beside the heat produced in the clutches you should have a much higher fuel consumption.
What about noises coming from the slipping clutch?
What about fine tuning when accelerating and breaking? Is it as good as with a normal torque converter with traditional break/inch pedal?

Posted 23 Aug 2005 05:34 PM Reply  Report this message
leon
North Carolina, United States
The Duramatch transmission drives like it is an AC electric truck with a tailpipe. The clutch packs are running in oil, so no clutch noise is produced during operation. Fuel consumption is directly related to  how hard you drive the truck. Inch/brake overlap is fully adjustable without tools since it is electronically controlled. Try one, you'll like it.

Regards,
Leon

Posted 27 Aug 2005 04:30 AM Reply  Report this message
mike_n
Alberta, Canada
Absolutley.
The trannys can be set up to do what ever you want.
You can drive them just like an electric.
You can set them up so they can't spin the wheels when dumping the inching pedal. (a big change in tire wear)

The duramatch plus trannys go a step further. The engine will rev to specified rpms when you use the hydraulics, without affecting travel speed.

Posted 11 Feb 2006 03:05 AM Reply  Report this message
keith_g
Illinois, United States
I believe that for the cooling system in these trucks there is a two piece radiator, an upper and lower, that can be replaced individually with the trans cooler on the bottom. So basically, the engine cooling and trans cooling are completely independent from each other.

Posted 18 Feb 2006 04:00 AM Reply  Report this message
forktrkman
oklahoma, United States
Hyster is having major problems with this transmission.  GP is sending units back and looking at legal action if needed.  Hyster tried to emulate a Linde hydrostatic design with poor results.

Modified 25 Sep 2007 00:24 AM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message
Toyotaman
Rhode Island, United States

Are you sure? If NACCO was having these problems wouldn't they have surfaced sooner? This is the first I've heard of this.

Posted 25 Sep 2007 12:43 AM Reply  Report this message
forktrkman
oklahoma, United States
Most Hyster dealers sell the entry level units that don't have the higher priced features and transmission so the problem has been mostly unheard of.  These units in question were sold through major accounts.   As a Hyster regional rep told me a couple of years  ago the Fortis was a try at copying the Linde hydrostatic drive units  with its outstanding features but they tried to accomplish it with software not a hydrostatic drive.  When I was with Hyster in the 80's before Nacco the plan was to bring out hydrostatic drive forklifts due to its superior drive system.  But non the less to keep pricing low they abandoned that idea.

Modified 25 Sep 2007 01:11 PM
by poster.
EasyM
South Carolina, United States

forktrkman is absolutely correct. Nacco is in serious trouble with this truck.

Posted 27 Sep 2007 07:48 AM Reply  Report this message
scots33
North lanarkshire, United Kingdom
Well, I left barlow handling as they obtained that range of trucks, but It sounds very like the Jungheinrich/Boss hydrostatic transmission set up.
Swash plate pump, hal sensor mounted comunicating the angle back to programable card( set up with lap top) hyrdaulic motors mounted on the axles with 2 multi pack clutches working as the brakes, (think of it as wet air brakes, failing to safe.)
the main issues they had with the systems was they used a pot rather than a hal sensor to start with and it got smacked all the time by debris and put the pot out of range and the truck stoped and the brakes slam on. Drive configuration is adjustable to mimic the Lindi set up and also to operatie like a conventional powershift trany, it also featured a 5 mode switch that you could program different drive characteristics viv the laptop .
from what I saw of the Hyster(and it wasnt much of  a look to be fair) it shared much of these characteristics,
I hope it fairs better than the XM range did when it came out of the factory, what disapointment that was.....
Bring back the HH range or the XLs any day of the week...
0-0

Posted 11 Oct 2007 09:40 AM Reply  Report this message
craig_n
Maryland, United States
I will tell all of you now , I have had units in the field for 2 + years as of current with this transmission in it , and I am scared . I have had 0 work other then basic Pm service and two little minor issues that the factory updated parts on ...6800 + hours of use and no service work....This might be a bad thing since we all know that the lifeblood of a forklift company is service work...This thing is holding up very well.. I wish I could have said the same thing about the old XM series ..They were terrible . I need them back though so I have some more service work...oh well at least I still can work on the other brands....
Former Baker,Allis Chalmers,Raymond,Yale employee ...

Posted 11 Oct 2007 11:57 PM Reply  Report this message
EasyM
South Carolina, United States

Craig,

I know of 4 LARGE National Account customers that have had so many problems with the Hyster Fortis that they are cancelling orders left and right. The truck runs extremely hot in applications where the truck runs over 3,000 hours per year. I'm talking H-O-T!. I will not name the companies that I know of but you should check around.

Posted 12 Oct 2007 00:12 AM Reply  Report this message
phil_h10
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I

Modified 12 Dec 2007 12:42 AM
by poster.
kevin_k
dumfriesshire, United Kingdom

phil . watch out what you say on this forum .big brother is watching this website .i had tip tip off from high up the tree if you get my meaning .cheers

Posted 8 Nov 2007 07:47 AM Reply  Report this message
frisbee
Michigan, United States
who are alternative forklift transmission makers?

Posted 11 Dec 2007 08:05 AM Reply  Report this message
frisbee
Michigan, United States
what company out there has better tranmissions, I thought Duramatch was number 1, who is in the Toyota trucks?

Posted 11 Dec 2007 08:10 AM Reply  Report this message
Page: [1] 2

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.
Ads

GLOSSARY
Click for description.

FORUM
DISCUSSION
SIGNATURE

FORUMS
©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia