Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

Marketplace NEW! Business Directory Discussion Forums Industry News Events Calendar Jobs & Resumes Photo Galleries
Marketplace
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Home
My profile
Search
Spec-Checker
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries

Ads

Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
Search  
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Forum: Warehouse storage and handling
Discussion:  Warehouse material handling
Number of messages: 32
Page: [1] 2
START MESSAGE:
lea_s
New South Wales, Australia
What type of equipment can be used to handle products and raw material in warehouses.Please reply as I have to prepare a report on that.

Posted 24 Jan 2014 03:40 PM Reply  Report this message
REPLIES: Sort replies by
lifter01
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
What kind of products and what type of raw material????

Posted 24 Jan 2014 09:31 PM Reply  Report this message
cuttingedge
Colorado, United States

You should have loading docks to load and unload goods from trucks. Provided using cranes and forklifts for moving goods, which are usually placed on ISO standard pallets loaded into pallet racks. Hope I answer your question.

Modified 10 Feb 2014 11:08 AM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message
swoop223
North Carolina, United States

i think with material handling being such a broad spectrum business knowing what products being handled would be a great start in knowing what equipment would be needed before answering this question as lifter said.

But as cuttingedge said, you would need the right machine to move the goods, also you would need the correct type of storage media such as racking to organize the material. Depending on the types of material being handled you would have to decide if you want to use Manual or electric pallet jacks, Gas, LPG or Electric lift truck machines and there are such a broad range of machine types for moving material goods you would need to decide which machines would be needed according to what is being moved.

There are several other things to consider when setting up a warehouse as well such as lighting, operator training, office space, safety awareness, hazardous material areas, etc.

I'm sure there are other things to consider but this is just a basic description. I'm sure someone else more familiar with warehouse operations could chime in here and fill in the blanks.

-------------------------
You've been swooped!
swoop223@gmail.com

Posted 3 Feb 2014 09:28 PM Reply  Report this message
cuttingedge
Colorado, United States

Thanks swoop223  for supporting my advice regarding warehouse material handling. I have earned a lot of experiences and we practice that in our own storage units in Centennial.

Posted 10 Feb 2014 11:30 AM Reply  Report this message
lea_s
New South Wales, Australia
Is Pallet truck is good tool for material handling?

Posted 10 Feb 2014 03:56 PM Reply  Report this message
swoop223

yes lea_s
pallet trucks are fairly common around here for unloading trucks and moving palleted goods around. If you are moving large amounts of goods then motorized would be more suitable. If it is just the occasional pallet being moved then a manual pallet jack.

You've been swooped!
swoop223@gmail.com

Posted 10 Feb 2014 09:05 PM Reply  Report this message
John_Lambert
Victoria, Australia

Important qualification: Hand pallet trucks should only be used with hard concrete floors in good condition that are flat and level. In that situation an average male can move a 1000 kg pallet if the maximum slope is 0.5 degrees or 1%; 700 kg pallet if slopes get to 1.1 degrees/ 2% (maximum slope for forklifts are raising loads and placing them in racks or on trucks); and 400 kg pallet if slopes get to 2.5 degrees/ 4.5% (maximum slope concrete areas where large trucks are loaded and unloaded))

Better to strive and experience all life’s colours from pain to ecstasy than to exist in a grey life

Posted 13 Feb 2014 03:43 PM Reply  Report this message
andrew_j
Florida, United States
John,
Your numbers seem very precise please let me know how you worked them out?
Andrew

I learn from my customers and mistakes

Posted 16 May 2014 12:32 AM Reply  Report this message
John_Lambert
Victoria, Australia

Castor rolling resistance with manual pallet trucks on smooth concrete averages around 0.01 x the mass of pallet plus pallet jack. So a 1000 kg pallet on a 70 kg pallet jack requires 10.7 kg force to overcome castor friction on flat concrete.
The additional force required to pull a load and pallet truck up a slope is the weight by the sine of the angle. Sine 1 deg = 0.175.  So that force for the load above is 18.7 kg. That gives a combined force of 29.4 kg versus a recommended maximum steady pull of 30 kg (some ergonomists suggest 22 kg).
The same calculations can be applied to other slopes. At 2.5 degrees the maximum load is 500 kg plus the 70 kg hand pallet jack

Better to strive and experience all life’s colours from pain to ecstasy than to exist in a grey life

Posted 17 May 2014 09:08 PM Reply  Report this message
John_Lambert
Victoria, Australia

Note my previous calculations were based on older higher castor friction figures

Posted 17 May 2014 09:13 PM Reply  Report this message
swoop223

did you calculate in the differences in coated casters with different durometer ratings too? or was this a general calculation for the most popular caster?

different durometer caster tires will change the friction rate drastically depending on what type of material they are coated with ;o)

You've been swooped!
swoop223@gmail.com

Posted 18 May 2014 00:37 AM Reply  Report this message
John_Lambert
Victoria, Australia

Swoop
Your comment is very relevant. Lowest rolling resistance is with hard smooth floors and hard/ high durometer reading castors. For example with lower durometer "tyres" and floor plate as is fitted to many truck trays the rolling resistance may be doubled due to all the energy consumed in flexing the "tyre" surface.
With thick rubber "tyres" the rolling resistance may be three times higher.
The downside of hard castors is that they do not freely roll over imperfections in the floor like slight misalignment at joints in concrete slabs where there is a small step change in height.

Posted 18 May 2014 10:14 AM Reply  Report this message
edward_t
South Carolina, United States

you all do recognize there are many other 'material handling systems" other than those designed to handle palleted loads, such as conveyors systems and other bulk or specialized package handing systems like robo-arms, with grips or suction cups, and I think the OP [original poster] was asking about -all- systems for moving goods in a warehouse.
Although in my geeky little world, this was a very interesting and thoughtful discussion.  

"it's not rocket surgery"

Posted 18 May 2014 11:01 PM Reply  Report this message
gr_t
Victoria, Australia
I think, if we want to store the food products for a long time, we use the Refrigerated Transport Services. Its preserve the food for such a long time in a cold storage mediam.

http://www.grtransport.com.au

Posted 29 May 2014 05:58 PM Reply  Report this message
IAMIRONMAN
South Dakota, United States
It's nice to see people still discussing the basic's of Material Handling equipment.  As a young man, I pushed and pulled hand jacks all over Soft Drink warehouses and Grocery Stores.  They do get stuck in cracks, don't go up a dock plate well, and sometime tip to one side or another.  Wheel compound is important, along with non marking wheels so they don't wreck a nice floor.  Still a good pallet jack is invaluable when moving things a short distance.  A couple important things to remember, when you do get stuck in a crack, pull the jack to the side, and always watch your toes when lowering!

www.actionheavyequipment.com

Posted 1 Jan 2015 04:51 PM Reply  Report this message
swoop223

yes mr lambert there are many factors to consider when trying to determine what to use when handling loads, thanks for that insight on wheel compounds :o)
Edward has a point though, there are also conveyor systems that can be used be it manual roller conveyors or automated motor driven ones as well.
Since our thread poster was not very specific on exactly what areas and materials he was referring to (which we can only assume all of them), i guess this discussion is going to be all over the map of warehouse material handling equipment  ;o)

i mean seriously
there are all sorts of lift trucks ranging from pallet jacks to computerized automated lifts, conveyors , robots . wire guided machines, etc.
When i did work for Ingersol Rand they had a complete warehouse that was totally automated with all of the above, wire guided robots running around, high rack turret lifts picking product out of very high racking systems, other assorted transport vehicles running around on wire guided systems through out the warehouse, they only had a small skeleton crew of people in there making sure there were no problems and a small maintenance crew keeping up the systems.
Phillip Morris was going down the same road in different parts of their facility when they were here, with wire guidance vehicles and unmanned high rack turret lifts working along with the manned lifts of every type and size suited for their operations.
The Ingersol Rand warehouse was the most impressive though,
It was like a symphony seeing all those machines working together :o)

You've been swooped!
swoop223@gmail.com

Posted 2 Jan 2015 01:19 AM Reply  Report this message
edward_t
South Carolina, United States

check out "kiva systems" (now owned by Amazon).

"it's not rocket surgery"

Posted 2 Jan 2015 01:33 AM Reply  Report this message
Flexpipe
Quebec, Canada

For light materials they are jiggers, conveyors, push carts, tugger carts and more

www.flexpipeinc.com - modular material handling solutions

Posted 17 Jan 2015 05:45 AM Reply  Report this message
JamesJury
Ontario, Canada
There are hundreds of equipment that can be used in warehouses like Bulk Carts, Lift Trucks and Pallet Stackers, Platform Trucks, Lifting Attachment. For more visit this site:- [url/email removed]

Posted 6 Feb 2015 05:08 PM Reply  Report this message
Page: [1] 2

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.
Ads

GLOSSARY
Click for description.

FORUM
DISCUSSION
SIGNATURE

FORUMS
©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia