Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

Marketplace NEW! Business Directory Discussion Forums Industry News Events Calendar Jobs & Resumes Photo Galleries
Marketplace
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Home
My profile
Search
Spec-Checker
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries

Ads

Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
Search  
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Forum: Lifting machines
Discussion:  Daewoo or Hyster??
Number of messages: 14

START MESSAGE:
Levo
Minnesota, United States
I need to purchase a forklift.  Stuck between Daewoo and Hyster.  I need a 5000lb lift, propane and/or gas, side shift, white tires, bla bla bla.  

Found a 2000 Daewoo, 1400 hrs., prop/gas, $12,400.

Also found a 2001 Hyster, same stats, except it has 8100 hrs., and costs $6950.00.

What is the better brand?  Is 8100 too many hours?  I have $12,000.00 to spend.

Posted 16 Dec 2004 08:43 AM Reply  Report this message
REPLIES: Sort replies by
NTOLERANCE
Wisconsin, United States
I would suggest a Daewoo if and ONLY IF the model number ends in a "-2" Like GC25S-2. The -3 (later trucks) has a ZF transmission which is very problematic. The Hecules Daewoo engine is rugged and reliable. (Vibrates like a Harley) The GM engine in the later trucks suffers vapor lock. I think the Hyster you are looking at is well worn at 8100 hours.

-------------------------
The things I do can cause a person to get hurt expelled arrested even deported. Dont try it at home

Posted 13 Jan 2005 02:11 PM Reply  Report this message
Liftdoctor
Indiana, United States
Keep shopping.  The Hyster is better, but has too many hours.  Typical gas truck engine is good for 10 or 12 K hours.  There are exceptions.  I have seen some wear out at 4000 and some at 15000, but 10 to 12 k is tyupical.

Stay as far away from the Daewoo as possible.  My dealer sold Daewoos and Kmatsus.  We dropped the Daewoos for leaks, maily from the trensmisssion.  They have has varios other problems.   I would agee that the -2 truck is more relieable, but still problematic.  As a dealer tech, my Daewoo techinal bulletion file is huge!  Does that tell you anything.   I would avoid the Hercules engine.  The vibrate like a Harley and Hercules is bankrupt.  The
GM or Mitsubishe engines are better choices.  The Mazda engine in the Hyster is also good.

Posted 22 Jan 2005 03:18 PM Reply  Report this message
tom_j
Oregon, United States
Definately the Hyster, I've seen them with 15k+ hours on them and still going strong.  Depending on your application (hrs/wk used, driving conditions)  that will make you a good machine, GM or Mazda engine.

Posted 30 Jan 2005 07:21 PM Reply  Report this message
Pick
Georgia, United States
I am General Manager of Product Support at Daewoo America in Cleveland, and worked for Cat for 19 years.  If you want the straight scoop, call me with the serial number of the Daewoo.  I would not buy a truck with 8100 hours, Hyster or otherwise.  You can do much better.  What is said in many of the replies are opinions and many items are simply false.  Daewoo is a rugged product, and may be the last true industrial lift truck made.  My number is 216-595-5626.

Posted 4 Feb 2005 02:15 AM Reply  Report this message
henry_h
Louisiana, United States
I don't believe that there are many people other than Daewoo Dealers who would compare a Daewoo to a Hyster, Nissan, Toyota or Yale in dependability or back up.  "even" with lift trucks you "get what you pay for".  Our experence with that product in forklifts and industrial equipment is that they are in the same class as Tailift, Worldlift, etc... "for light users only.

Posted 4 Feb 2005 03:35 AM Reply  Report this message
Pick
Georgia, United States
Please do not put Daewoo in the catagory of a Tailift or Worldlift, nor a light user.  With a 5 year 10,000 hour brake warranty, and a GM 3.0L engine with cast iron head, thicker mast channels, frame etc. dual element air cleaners, and Woodward fuel systems, you only wish we were in those catagories!  We are here to stay, and will compete heads up with any one of those household name brands you mention!  We have the dealer and parts support.

Posted 4 Feb 2005 06:37 AM Reply  Report this message
Liftdoctor
Indiana, United States
Pick, I think we are blowing in the wind here because the guy how posted the original question seems to have never looked at the responses.

Posted 9 Feb 2005 11:31 AM Reply  Report this message
Reece1
Texas, United States
An 8000 hour machine is pushing the limits of a rebuild. Do your self a favor and go with less hours!!

Posted 29 Sep 2017 05:57 AM Reply  Report this message
triumphrider
Texas, United States
Put a timing belt in that Hyster and run the crap out of it for a few more thousand hours. Keep the oil changed and transmission serviced.

Posted 29 Sep 2017 08:58 PM Reply  Report this message
stam
Ontario, Canada

8000 hours isn't a whole lot for a forklift really.
Dealers seem to push the whole 10000 hours and it's trash bs way too much.
I have hyster toyota and daewoo products I look after with excess of 20000 hours. Run daily still.

Posted 29 Sep 2017 10:56 PM Reply  Report this message
wiggy
kent, United Kingdom
Couldn't agree more stam,  people read too much into hours. It's the same with cars/trucks.
It's the care and maintenance it's received through its life that really counts.
I've had trucks with 4000hrs and 3 years old that were beyond economical repair due to neglect but looked after machines 15 years old with 16k hrs plus and still run like a Swiss watch and capable of working all day every day because they have been maintained properly, to excess even.

Damn only just noticed the original post date! Holy thread revival...

Modified 3 Oct 2017 08:52 AM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.
Ads

GLOSSARY
Click for description.

FORUM
DISCUSSION
SIGNATURE

FORUMS
©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia