Discussion:
Promotions

Rochelle, You need to write introduction letters to the relevant dept heads or Cheif Execs. The letter needs to be brief contain value propositions, preferably 4 or 5 in bullet points - easier to read and quicker. Customers operate on 'WIIFM' - Whats In It For Me - you have to give them a reason why they should see you and why they are missing out. Then call and make apt. Thats how we have to operate in the UK. Cold calling went out 20 years ago here. The trick is what companies to write to - do the research on likely target companies first.

All the front desk staff do then is sign you in - their real job!

If your competitors are not doing this and you are you will eat them alive! Good Luck, Hope this helps.
  • Posted 30 Nov 2007 04:34
  • Modified 30 Nov 2007 09:28 by poster
  • Discussion started by chris_n
  • West Midlands, United Kingdom
Showing items 1 - 5 of 5 results.
If I were you, I would look up the nearest Sandler Sales Institute location and sign up. If you study, learn and practice their sales techniques, you will get through any door in any industry. It is exactly the opposite of how most forklift people "sell". No begging, no giving away and absolutely no capitulation is allowed. Sorry, but "doughnuts" is way old school and way too obvious.
One of their techniques would go like this:
Frank the forklift salesman: Mr. Customer how much are you spending a year in forklift maintenance?
Mr. Customer: I have no idea.
Frank: No really, how much do you think?
Mr. customer: I don't know.
Frank: Well, if you had to guess, roughly how much
Mr customer: Oh, I'd say maybe $75,000
Frank: HOW MUCH!!! WOW!! THAT"S HUGE!!!!---How come????

Now you got the customer talking and he'll start answering questions. Don't talk---- listen and ask questions.

It works-try it.
  • Posted 16 Feb 2008 08:16
  • Reply by duodeluxe
  • United States
duodeluxe
GOOD answer there EasyM!
  • Posted 15 Feb 2008 13:48
  • Modified 26 Apr 2008 11:12 by poster
  • Reply by roadrat
  • North Carolina, United States
"ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?"
Show up early in the morning with doughnuts and samples of your best products. Go to the back door and start with shipping & receiving. Give them the doughnuts, play dumb, and ask for help. Works every time.
  • Posted 8 Feb 2008 00:36
  • Reply by EasyM
  • South Carolina, United States
Hello Rochelle,

If you really need to get in, just walk in the back door and ask for the person you want to see. It's important to look like you belong there. If you are just trying to find out a equipment they have, just look around until some one asks what you are doing. In your response, (make sure you know the name of the company next door) and tell them your looking for it. They will kindly tell you it's next door and be none the wiser.

Creativeness pays off.
  • Posted 6 Dec 2007 04:53
  • Reply by jon_a
  • Wisconsin, United States
Hi Rochelle,
Yes gatekeepers in the industry can be tough to get by,and yes I
do have some ideas and suggestions.The first thing I recommend
that you do,is change your strategy as soon as is possible!When you make your living selling,you can't afford to spend too much time
with an approach that doesn't get you airborne.The best way to
change your strategy is to change your business thinking.By that
I mean,think outside rather than inside the box.If you approach
customer base building from a new perspective,you will succeed.
Rochelle,I do also have some more specific suggestions on how
to help break the logjam,and if you would like to e-mail me at
my business,I'll give you some more strategies for your "new game".
Best Regards,
Bill Williams-V.P.
Industrial Truck Solutions
[email address removed]
  • Posted 30 Nov 2007 18:55
  • Reply by bill_w
  • New York, United States
We are your one stop source,for solutions
to material handling problems.

Having trouble using the Discussion Forums? Contact us for help.

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.

Lorette, France French equipment maker Haulotte has recorded a satisfying sales rise in the first half of 2021. In its statement to the market, the company notes...
Kiel, Germany Konecranes has won an order from the thyssenkrupp Marine Systems shipyard to supply 14 process cranes for a shipbuilding hall now being built in Kiel...

Upcoming Events

Tue, Sep 28, 2021 - Wed, Oct 6, 2021 - Online, United Kingdom
June 22-25, 2022 - Bangkok, Thailand

Inside Forkliftaction

This week's newsletter includes a couple of fleet expansion reports. We find these valuable because they indicate the areas of economic growth - both geographically and in industrial sectors.
But, more importantly, it's valuable to all potential buyers to see who is choosing what - and why. Clearly, some case studies reveal
...Continue Reading

Inside Forkliftaction

This week's newsletter includes a couple of fleet expansion reports. We find these valuable because they indicate the areas of economic growth - both geographically and in industrial sectors.
But, more importantly, it's valuable to all potential buyers to see who is choosing what - and why. Clearly, some case studies reveal
...Continue Reading
Waukesha, WI, United States Wildeck has appointed Angela Wurtz as its new director of people operations. Wurtz will be responsible for all aspects of...
Cannock, United Kingdom Mereway Group has taken delivery of seven Hyster forklifts at its warehouse hub. The new fleet is all on a seven-year contract hire and is...

Upcoming Events

Surrey, United Kingdom Hyster is the latest to offer integrated lithium-ion battery power in its counterbalance truck range, with the launch of the J2.5-3.0XNL. Engineered around a fully...
Dallas, TX, United States Darr Equipment Co, one of the largest Caterpillar forklift dealerships in the United States, has launched an advanced materials handling solutions division, 54 Intralogistics. The...

Upcoming Events

Inside Forkliftaction

...Continue Reading