Storing your login information automatically.

When you select the 'Remember me' option, your login information will be stored on your computer in the form of a cookie. When you visit Forkliftaction.com again, the stored login information will be retrieved automatically and you will not have to submit your login parameters (email address and password) each time you want to visit our members-only pages.

A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from a web server and stored on your computer's hard drive. A cookie can't read data off your hard disk or read cookie files created by other sites. Cookies do not damage your system.

Marketplace Business Directory Discussion Forums Spec-Checker Industry News Events Calendar Jobs & Resumes Photo Galleries
Marketplace
Business Directory
Discussion Forums
Home
My profile
Search
Spec-Checker
Industry News
Events Calendar
Jobs & Resumes
Photo Galleries

Ads

Ads
News service and business centre for materials handlingHOME
Search  
DISCUSSION FORUMS : Forkliftaction.communicate
Forum: Safety, training & legislation
Discussion:  Loading and offloading tractor tires
Number of messages: 8

START MESSAGE:
JohnE
Texas, United States
Is there any agreed way to load and offload large tires (500 lbs and up) on and off flatbeds? I have learned of different instances of forklift operators trying to push or pull tires off the top of a stack, only to have them fall and roll off, causing damage/injury. OR of a whole stack tumbling down. Should pallets be placed between each tire to aid the process? Should tires companies give handling instructions for their specific tire categories/sizes? Should specific forklift adaptors be used?  Where do I look for guidance?

Posted 18 Dec 2010 08:28 AM Reply  Report this message
REPLIES: Sort replies by
mrfixit
New York, United States
How big is the OD of the tires? A large tire warehouse I worked for would use carton/bale clamp attachments on forklifts for up to about 6' diameter tires and then they had a special clamp type attachment with special "tire forks" on it for up to about 8' diameter. The forks were smooth triangular shape and they would open them up to fit around the tire, close them just enough to hold the tire under it's bottom side and lift it on or off a stack. They used 6000 cap. forklifts for the tire clamp fork attachments that handled the bigger tires.

Posted 18 Dec 2010 10:57 AM Reply  Report this message
johnr_j
Georgia, United States
I believe Cascade has a tire handling clamp.  Check out their web site.  They sell factory reconditioned attachments also.   By "dumb luck " they may have one.

Posted 20 Dec 2010 09:42 AM Reply  Report this message
Kmiller
Georgia, United States
Good morning. I am Cascade's Sales Manager for the USA and Mexico. We do make a variety of attachments that enable the user to handle from one to many tires in a stack. As someone mentioned flat arm/pad clamps can be used as well as roll clamp style units with wide concave pads. The diameter and weight of the tire as well as height(s) of the stack are important factors. We would be happy to have one of our Territory Managers make a site visit to recommend the best attachment for your particular application.

Posted 21 Dec 2010 10:11 PM Reply  Report this message
JohnE
Texas, United States
Tires are about 7 feet in OD; 920 lbs each.  Seems like they could be loaded with pallets in between so it is easy to offload them without attachments.  I guess it is too much to expect tire manufacturers to give some guidance for offloading their products?
Mr. Miller, are your attachments viewable on company website?

Posted 13 Jan 2011 08:50 AM Reply  Report this message
johnr_j
Georgia, United States
John E
1.  go to their web site  cascorp.com,  click the attachments tab, click on custom products check them out.  There are others the make these attachments - do a bit of googling to see what other options are available to you.  Cascade is a good reputable company been around a long time.
2.  suggest you contact others in your same business & get some advise.
3.  Call the tire supplier & ask them what they use to load the tires out on the trailer.
4.  Pallets for tires due to the variety of OD's would be custom sizes and your freight/handling costs would go up and be reflected in the product cost or shipping costs and over the road charges as pallets take up space inside a trailer.

-------------------------
"Have An Exceptional Day!"

Modified 13 Jan 2011 11:22 PM
by poster.
Reply  Report this message
Kmiller
Georgia, United States
Yes we do have a variety of attachments viewable from the web. John mentioned [url/email removed]. There are a variety of custom products available as well for most applications. We have Cascade personal around the world who will be happy to discuss or visit wit you at your convenience (no obligation).

Posted 25 Jan 2011 09:11 AM Reply  Report this message
linesman
Staffordshire, United Kingdom

If you want to see a great example of a Cascade Clamp handling tires, then go to youtube dot com / jcbfilms / jcbteletruk vip

Posted 21 Mar 2011 10:56 PM Reply  Report this message

Ads

Forkliftaction.com accepts no responsibility for forum content and requires forum participants to adhere to the rules. Click here for more information.
Ads

GLOSSARY
Click for description.

FORUM
DISCUSSION
SIGNATURE

FORUMS
©Forkliftaction.com
Forkliftaction Media Pty Ltd
PO Box 1439
Milton QLD 4064
Australia